St Charles Catholic Voluntary Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Appropriate safeguarding is a prerequisite to the effective development and well-being of children and is therefore an underlying principle in all that we do.
We are also committed to:
- Ensuring everyone who works or volunteers at St Charles is subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure.
- Regular reviews of all practice
- Appropriate induction and supervision
- Regular and appropriate training
- Sustaining the professional ethos which is open and supportive of staff and puts children’s safety and protection at its core.
- Ensuring that parents are aware of the school’s commitment to this work.
Our Designated Safeguarding Lead is Mrs Knight
We also have two Deputy Designated Safeguarding Leads in school.
The Designated Safeguarding Person has a responsibility at both a strategic level within the academy and on a day to day basis.
Key Aspects of the DSL role include:
- Making sure all staff are aware how to raise safeguarding concerns
- Ensuring all staff understand the symptoms of child abuse and neglect
- Referring any concerns to social care
- Monitoring children who are the subject of Child Protection Plans
- Maintaining accurate and secure child protection records
The school has a statutory responsibility to share any concerns it might have about a child in need of protection with other agencies and in particular Police, Health and Children’s Services. Schools are not able to investigate concerns but have a legal duty to refer them. In most instances, the school will be able to inform the parents/carers of the need to make a referral. However, sometimes the school is advised by Children’s Social Care or Police that the parent/carer cannot be informed whilst they investigate the matter. We understand the anxiety parents/carers understandably feel when they are not told about any concerns from the outset, but the school will follow legislation that aims to act in the best interests of the child.
Details of our Safeguarding Policy at St Charles can be found in the ‘Policies’ Section of the school website.